eXfat drive not working in Windows XP?

So you got a nice 64GB USB stick, and can’t format it NTFS but want to transfer huge files on it. You probably formatted it with eXfat (Windows Vista, 7, 8, Mac)

But the ISO you downloaded is on your XP machine, you can compress it and span the 4GB limit set by FAT(32) OR, you can just install eXfat support on Windows XP using the download provided by Microsoft themselves:

And, if Microsoft ever remove it, like they are prone to doing… You can download it from here:

or here:

60 comments on “eXfat drive not working in Windows XP?

1. Tim Kelley February 9, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks, dude! As you predicted, MS took it down, and the usual crop of websites peddling viruses as drivers have taken up the cause. This is the only legit copy I was able to find. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

• admin February 9, 2016 4:45 pm

No worries. I hate those “driver” websites… With a passion.

• me May 15, 2016 8:56 am

FU**ken thank you sir!, appricieate this!

2. Dasz February 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for keeping the Windows XP exFAT update here. Now I can use my old XP machine to backup pics from my new camera that uses exFAT. I don’t understand why Microsoft deleted all things XP. I expected them to keep an XP updates archive with a disclaimer of no support. Instead they chose to remove all traces of it! Like it should be purged from the Earth & never talked about again.

• admin February 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Cue the request from Microsoft for me to delete it!

3. Todd February 25, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks for this very much. I didn’t anticipate that Microsoft would deliberately pull a simple patch like this from their servers.

4. Marcin February 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for the download.

My XP sees my 128gb Lexar JumpDrive but can only format to 1.1GB.

I am trying to format so I can run Chromium on my 2003 laptop.

that’s life…

5. David Cortner March 4, 2016 5:55 pm

I just woke up in Alaska with no way to access my shiny new 128GB cards on this tiny, ancient travel computer. Fixed before my second cup of coffee! Thank you.

• admin March 4, 2016 6:30 pm

I assume it was a planned trip to Alaska and not “just woke up in Alaska after a heavy night out”

6. MW March 6, 2016 6:55 pm

MS is attacking . . . Mega file is gone and file here shows as ‘corrupt’ extracting files. The file I downloaded is 3.24Mb file (3,403,304 bytes in file). I viewed the downloaded file in a hex editor and it looks like a valid exe or archive, with readable MS tags near front & end of file. Is there a standalone Windows Update installer I should be using, or just running the EXE on this? I’m running Win XP Pro SP3

• MW March 6, 2016 7:18 pm

UPDATE: Avast Antivirus was blocking the extraction of the files. I disabled Avast, and everything installed correctly. 64GB SDXC card is now viewable.

Chris, thanks very much for posting this.

• admin March 6, 2016 7:57 pm

Mega is gone? I didn’t know if they expired. I’ll check later.

Glad you sorted it. Damn anti-virus eh? Bothersome software…

• Alexander Selbach Backes February 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks MW.. I have the same problem, and AVAST ist the cause.. Danke!

7. Zoran March 8, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks

8. David March 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Chris, you are a scholar and a gentleman! I was searching for hours for this update and just happened to end up here. I downloaded the update and it works like a charm and saved the day! And while I’m at it, a pox on the head of Microsoft. As Dasz noted above, they could have left this lying around with no support, but instead they are going out of their way to punish XP users and force them to upgrade. Screw ’em.

9. peter morton March 16, 2016 8:43 pm

hi,
    the first link’s file is corrupt or so my computer says .win xp sp3. the other link no longer has the file. any help?
    thanks,
    peter

• admin March 19, 2016 10:15 am

I fixed the Mega download. Wonder if they expire after so long…?

10. peter morton March 16, 2016 8:47 pm

hi,
    so sorry. my anti-virus program said it was corrupt. when i paused it the program seems to have installed. thanks
    peter

• admin March 17, 2016 8:45 am

Yeah a couple of people said it was reported as a virus, do you use Avast by any chance?

11. peter morton March 17, 2016 12:36 am

hi,
    it installed but won’t read 64 or 128 gb sd cards. any suggestions? it also doesn’t show that the program is installed when i look in add/remove programs. maybe it didn’t install?
    thanks,
    peter

• admin March 17, 2016 8:47 am

One chap said he used it on a 128GB card with no issues. I do not use Windows so I can’t test it. But it should work fine. Make sure your card isn’t a dodgy “knock off”

I don’t think it will appear in the “Add/Remove Programs” panel, it’ll be in the other one that I can’t remember the name of, the Windows Components one, or under Microsoft Service Packs or something like that.

12. peter morton March 18, 2016 2:10 am

hi,
    yes, i do use avast. i bought the cards on e-bay, but they were sanDisk. there are a couple of programs that did change the exFat to fat32 and my computer showed the full 123gb and 63gb and let me write to them. but when i stuck them in my car’s stereo, the music ‘skipped’. . i didn’t go over any bumps, though. someone said the info was getting dropped somehow. 2Tware FAT 32 FORAMT( could’t spell format prroperly, but the program did work) gives you option to go ntfs or fat32, but somehow the info was dropped, then disappeared. thanks for your time. the car has 3 usb ports, so 96gb gets most of my favorite tunes.
    regards,
    peter

13. Owen March 20, 2016 3:46 am

Even now, micro$oft manages to piss me off every day. Yesterday it was the fact they change every single release of doze so it is different from the last (and generally can’t be made to look similar to old versions either). Fine for the tablet generation, but older folks haven’t a hope.
    Today, I can’t find the exfat driver on the micro$oft site. For Gods sake, are hard disks & servers really that damn expensive?
    It’s a real shame the anti-trust suit all those years ago fell short. Maybe it should be re-instated with the bullying and market manipulation tactics that they are STILL employing.

14. Mark P April 21, 2016 2:16 pm

my sincere thanks. I chose exfat on a large usb drive because of it’s cross platform possibilities (linux devotee). come to an old Win XP machine in 2016 and of course Micro$oft, as you anticipated, have removed the patch because “XP support has ended”. V grateful.

15. m April 30, 2016 12:41 am

Thanks a lot for the download, but anyway, after avast tricked me, I almost punched my screen after reading this:

“Setup cannot update your Windows XP files because the language installed on your system is different from the update.”

• admin April 30, 2016 6:30 am

Sorry about that. I assume you want french? Bit of a crap failure. I’ll take a look and see if I can find a french one for you.

• admin May 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Sorry buddy, I have no recollection where I got the install from. But I would guess direct from Microsoft. Can’t help you I’m afraid.

16. suren May 9, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi! Admin . thank you thank you. keep up the good work

17. Werner May 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi Admin,
    your direct link “http://files.tatedavies.com/WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ENU.exe” seemed like a solution to what I searched for – BUT – the installation on non-English-language Windows XP systems stops with an error message: “Setup cannot update your Windows XP files because the language installed on your system is different from the update language.”

Do you have a turn-around for this problem or a hint where I can find a German language patch?

Any helpful answer is very much appreciated!

Regards Werner

• Werner May 12, 2016 10:52 pm

I just wanted to add: I searched hundreds of websites for the file “WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-DEU.exe” that I would need but with no positive result. All sites either refer to the broken link on the Microsoft site or contain malware.
      Can you provide the file “WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-DEU.exe”?

Regards Werner

• Werner May 13, 2016 11:56 am

Hello and thanks for your reply. I have set all region and language settings to English/US, rebooted my notebook, and then tried to install the WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ENU.exe file but got the same error message as reported. I probably would need to have a full English/US installation and not just changing the setting in order to get this working with the*_ENU.exe file. Currently I see no solution without getting acces to the *_DEU.exe file that I cannot find anywhere. If you still have an idea where to get the German version of that file from, I would very well like to try this. I would need the exfat possibilities on an old but very small and practicable Win XP netbook that I use on travels to save SD + SDXC file contents.

• Werner May 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Well, to save the SDXC file contents doesn’t work yet, of course!

18. WoofBark May 17, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks man! Used the tatedavies linked file and it worked like a treat.
    So annoying MS deleted old updates in the name of security. Yes, there are still people using legacy machines, and not necessarily connected to the internet therefore not vulnerable.

• admin May 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Indeed. I know many arcade (MAME) cabinets use xp and they’re certainly not internet enabled.

19. anton May 19, 2016 7:57 am

Thank You very much Sir!

20. mercalli12 May 25, 2016 8:06 am

thank you soooooo much!

21. Jabadaba June 9, 2016 6:06 am

Thanks dude. That help me so much.

22. Matt June 9, 2016 12:22 pm

Thank you so much, Chris. You’re the man!

23. Lannig June 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Sir,
    Thank you so much for hosting a copy of that KB. I really hate MS for this attitude. You’re a life-saver. Thanks again.

24. Mal July 20, 2016 3:45 am

Thank you!
    I did a big search and found XP x64 and 2003 server still on microsoft’s site a few minutes ago.
    they prolly wont last too long.

25. Dave July 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Another thanks from me. You’re a top bloke.

26. Aspid July 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks a lot! And f*ck stupid greedy Microsoft!

27. Woody October 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks a bunch for the driver. For me it was to access a 64gb San Disk Extreme Pro card for my Tascam portable recorder. It would’ve really sucked to not be able to do the file transfers to my XP machine where I can do the editing
    All the best

28. Oliver November 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Thank you very, very much!

29. M5 January 16, 2017 2:39 am

Thank you very much! You are the best!

• admin January 16, 2017 7:29 am

Amazing how many hits this download it getting. It’s clear that XP is still very much in use.

30. ofb February 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks very much! For info, XP still has good life in it offline as a game console.

For other I’ll mention this download checks good on the antivirus suite at virusscan.jotti.org, which you can and should use for peace of mind on older downloads like this. (Fresh files can carry something the checkers don’t know of yet.)

31. Alex March 9, 2017 12:59 am

By chance do you have a woirking link for the spanish version?
    I’m getting “KB955704 Setup Error”
    “Setup cannot update your Windows XP files because the language
    installed on your system is different from the update language.”

• Alex March 9, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. I’m afraid not because it reads
        “Although you were downloaded the correct language of the security hot fixes for your Windows XP version, But you still can not install the hot fixes.”
        in this case I have the incorrect language…

32. jin May 12, 2017 7:22 pm

the company removed it sadly

you save the day !!!

• admin June 18, 2017 10:11 pm

It looks like it might be the same yes. It’s got the same KB reference on it.

That’s good to know. It does mention SP3 at the bottom of the page so I think it’ll be fine.

• admin June 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Oh. I just saw you asked if my file works on SP3. Not sure to be honest. But go get the Microsoft one as it appears to

33. Matthew Green June 24, 2017 9:36 am

Thank you very much for keeping this file on your website – much appreciated